Portland, OR asked in Animal / Dog Law for Oregon

Q: Breeder of $2k bulldog pup let pup go home with a buyer (ex’s cousin) & do payments. She had me babysit twice and ...

Upon picking the pup up from their home, the grandma (slow, overwhelmed loud) is there with the two twins & toddler. I didn’t know she would be spending so much time w/pup while the they work full days & many vacations a year. I don’t contract to sell to neglect & abusive people,(grandma).The pup was in a small kennel and she did not let him out the 2x @ night that he should’ve been let out twice & slept in soiled already small kennel. The 2nd time he clung to me too long (not normal) & favoring his back leg. I texted buyer non-confronting asking and she got defensive, came got pup said the pup is just fine and quit talking to me and now it’s been 3days.

I do not want to finish the sale. She still owes 500 an wont give him up. I will give her back the payments paid. We DONT have a contract. I called police in her town and he said dogs are considered property and I could repo him, but said I couldn’t just take him or felony for stealing companion pet? How do I repo him legally?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristina M. Bergsten
Kristina M. Bergsten
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Media, PA

A: So, repo (repossession) would require you to prove a breach of contract for nonpayment. You can file a lawsuit under a verbal agreement because that is as enforceable as a written contract. You just have the additional hurdle of proving the contract existed. This can easily be done given the payments she's already made and if there are any text messages or other written messages memorializing the agreement. Try looking for local civil litigation counsel or contract attorneys to help you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.