Teaneck, NJ asked in Child Support for New Jersey

Q: Child Support in NJ ended when my daughter turned 19 this year. Can Mom get a new Child Support order in Massachusetts?

Hi, Mom and daughter moved from NJ to Massachusetts 2 years ago but I continued paying child support in NJ. NJ order ended when she turned 19. Now the mom has submitted a new order in Massachusetts. Is she eligible for more child support? I am paying for college and offered to help, but she wants to go thru the court. Thanks

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Teresa L. Reichek
Teresa L. Reichek
  • Mount Laurel, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: It is unlikely that Massachusetts would enter a new support order as most states do not compel support after the age of 18. That being said, I am not licensed in Massachusetts. You would need to speak to an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction for a complete analysis.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.