Hillsboro, OR asked in Animal / Dog Law for Oregon

Q: my ex girlfriend stole my therapy dog How can I get him back?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jennie Lynn Clark
Jennie Lynn Clark
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: If you are on a budget, you can file a lawsuit in small claims court and request injunctive relief for the return of the dog.

If money is no object, you could hire an attorney to file a lawsuit for injunctive relief. But this would likely run into the thousands of dollars. If your ex has assets, such as a house, it is possible you might be able to get a collectible award of attorney fees if the case is filed under ORS 20.080.

Sorry for having to lose your best doggie friend, even if it is only temporary. I am sure your doggie misses you too.

Best Regards,

Jennie Clark

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.