Lithonia, GA asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Georgia

Q: My brother is a truck driver. He took his girl friend on the road with him & they got into an argument.

He mistakenly shot her and was locked up in Kentucky. He was arrested for attempted murder and tampering with evidence. My mother hired a lawyer in Kentucky that was able to get him released although they knew he had a case in Dekalb county. Someone from Dekalb was supposed to pick him up for the warrant here but no one came. For some reason they picked him up again to hold him until someone from Dekalb county pick him up and she received a phone call advising he said he was going to commit suicide and now she can not speak with him. The lawyer advised she an get him out again for $5000 in which she does not have. She spent well over that to get him out the first time. My mother is a senior citizen and about to go crazy worrying about her son. Is there anything that can be done to help her?

1 Lawyer Answer
Joshua Schiffer
Joshua Schiffer
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Roswell, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Get a different lawyer. That sounds like terrible customer service, and I think your loved one may be on a mental health hold which explains why she cannot talk with them.

She should wait a couple of days, continually reach out to the facility and get reliable information from the inmate. She can also check the Dekalb Jail online system and the Dekalb Clerks online system for information. The lawyer SHE ALREADY PAID should do the professional courtesy of getting that current information for her as well. Whatever she does, dont pay lawyers who have already been problematic more money. There are TONS of great attorneys who will treat her more humanely.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.