Woodstock, GA asked in Child Support for Georgia

Q: I have over paid ~$10,000 for CS due to child care that is no longer needed. Can I get that money back?

He stopped receiving child care in the 6th grade and is now a junior in high school. I have been overpaying $167 a month for 5 years. The $167 is my portion of her child care expense at the time of the divorce that has gone on for an additional 5 years. IT could go on for another two unless I get a modification

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Priscilla T. Upshaw
Priscilla T. Upshaw
  • Powder Springs, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You need to file for modification in the court where the child support order was issued. It is best to contact an attorney who can assist you with the specifics of your case.

We wish you well.

-The Upshaw Law Firm, LLC. (770) 240-0922.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.