Memphis, TN asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Tennessee

Q: My gun was taken by police because they claimed to see it in my bf hand although he never had it what to do now

There was a police call made by someone where we were and It was a false report because of underlying family issues so when the police came they grabbed my boy friend and beat on him they also took my weapon because I say it on the ground just for my safety when they arrived my weapon is in my name and has never been used in any crimes now I don’t know if there going to give it back I’ve been getting the run around and was also given wrong directions by an officer

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: First make a written demand to the Chief of Police or the Sheriff to return your weapon. Then you need to file suit for Conversion against the City/County and the Officer that took the firearm with a SOL of 3 years. All this costs money and time, and many firearms are not worth the trouble. There is also the possibility of a Civil Rights Suit which is a GTLA with a 1 year SOL. Your damages are very little here.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.