Newaygo, MI asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Divorce for Michigan

Q: Hi-My husband left me&our home. He got his own apartment. Do i file for legal separation? I didnt want this.

I cant afford our home bills on my own. He gave me 3 options: I buy the home from him, he stays at the home, or we sell and split any profit. I chose the later. I am now trying to move everything, figure out what is mine/his. Friends say i should file for legal separation, not sure if this is the correct thing to do since he is the one that is choosing this. I wanted to work our issues but he clearly doesnt. We also have a 14yr old daughter that is with me.

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Legal separation will do everything a divorce does except make you legally divorced. You could do so to help bring some certainty to the economic situation. However, your husband could counter file for divorce. Michigan is a "no fault" state when it comes to divorce, and it only takes one person to want a divorce for it to happen.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.