Hendersonville, TN asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Tennessee

Q: Ex wife's income is triple mine. She has kids 4 days I have them 3. Will court consider her income compared to mine?

Up until a year ago we had split 50 50 custody. A year ago I went into rehab on my own and while gone I sent money to her as I could while in treatment. I am back now and the parenting plan is now technically 4/3 . However her income is triple mine . I worked 3 jobs when we were married while she went to school then after she graduated she divorced me. Now I am finally gonna go back to school to and finish. My kids will tell the court that they rather be with me more. I make sure my kids are clothed, fed, roof over their head, leisure stuff etc. I take great care of them. Will the court consider her income compared to mine when they issue child support?

1 Lawyer Answer
Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Yes. Income from both parents is calculated pursuant to the guidelines.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.