Torrance, CA asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Tennessee

Q: Joint land owner in TN. 1 owner now paying mortgage.

I purchased with a joint down payment land in TN (50/50 payment) however the joint owner is not making his payment of the mortgage. What legal recourse do I have to demand payment or file something to withdraw him from the deed?

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You will probably need to file an Action For Partition. Hopefully you all have some equity in the property, or it may not be ordered sold. Hire a competent Tennessee attorney. You could also make a small offer to buy him out and get a Quit Claim Deed back.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.