Lombard, IL asked in Family Law for Wisconsin

Q: My daughters father wants to sign his rights over but I don't have a significant other to take over his rights.

My daughters father wants to sign his rights over but I don't have a significant other to take over his rights. Can a family member of mine take over his rights? Or do I have a significant other take over his parental rights?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jane E. Probst
Jane E. Probst
  • Wauwatosa, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: You need to be married and your new husband willing to adopt your daughter. If a family member adopted your daughter, that would require a termination of your parental rights, too. The only way that your ex's parental rights can be terminated while yours are not terminated are if there will also be a petition for stepparent adoption filed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.