Guntersville, AL asked in Child Support for New York

Q: Due to emancipation child support terminated.Can one file for additional expenses now even though never brought up prio

Divorce was 7 yrs ago. Child support always paid on time. 1 child emancipated 1 year ago June (9 months after turning 21). Petition to modify to terminate due to 2nd child emancipating Jul 2020. Hearing this morning. Custodial parent who has never brought forth any requests for anything additional now wants 14k additional now that support has ended. Is this possible?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Howard E. Knispel
Howard E. Knispel
  • Commack, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If there was a prior court ordering those expenses to be paid, then it is a violation and the CP can go after them. If it was never in a court order, she can not now ask for them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.