Cleveland, OH asked in Criminal Law and Child Custody for Michigan

Q: Will I go to jail?

I live in Michigan, I am a single Mom. I have full custody of my child, his father has visitation.

I recently got a citation for local ordinance misdemeanor 3rd degree retail fraud. I wasn't taken to the police station and I wasn't fingerprinted. This is my 1st ever offense.

Will I go to jail for this? Will I lose custody of my child?

Will I have a criminal record?

I have a permanent resident card that needs renewing beginning of next year. Will I be denied and deported?

Will still be able to buy a house?

I have never done anything bad in my life. What I did was a really bad judgment call which I deeply regret. I am beating myself up over this and i am scared of not knowing of what may happen.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Breath. Understandably, you've never been in criminal trouble before and are imagining the worse possible scenarios. You will likely not see any jail time, and so long as you are otherwise financially qualified, will remain free to buy a house. And if something like a single misdemeanor retail fraud conviction were enough to take kids away, there would be an awful lot of parentless children.

You absolutely should talk with an immigration attorney, perhaps before or at least in conjunction with a criminal attorney. Even though in the grand scheme of things, this hardly registers as a crime, it can have immigration consequences, and the advice of a good immigration attorney is well worth the expense to preserve your status.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.