Terre Haute, IN asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Indiana

Q: Can trustee put stipulation on my trust money at disbursement?

Sister (trustee) added at disbursement time, once check is cashed I can not pursue any further recovery from her or estate, which I plan to do. Actually needed that money to pay for my lawyer.

Thank you in advance!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andre L. Pennington
Andre L. Pennington
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Surprise, AZ

A: Generally speaking, it is a normal part of the trust administration process to seek a release of liability for the Trustee when finalizing a trust administration. You do not have to sign; however, it would likely hold up the process for you receiving your distribution (and maybe others) from the Estate. If you do not sign she will likely have to seek the court's approval for the accounting and distributing of funds.

You probably want to consult with an experienced trust administration attorney to discuss the specifics and to see if you have a case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.