Denham Springs, LA asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for Tennessee

Q: What motion if any can be file to help my brother?

My brother was convicted in 2005 in the circuit court of Coahoma county for conspiracy to commit murder and aggravated assault, and improperly charged as a habitual offender under M.C.A 99-19-83 and M.C.A 99-19-81 the judge sentence him under the larger statue, giving him two consecutive life sentences,,xxx was serving a 57 month term in federal prison prior to being convicted on the state charges,but had only served 10 months and 16 days before being convicted in State court, While M.C.A 99-19-83 requires that a defendant "must"have served at least 1 years on each prior conviction before he could be charged and sentenced under the larger Habitual statue,,Lorenzo filed a fourth PCCR which was denied on August 07,2020.

After speaking with Attorney, my brother xxx was advised that he had an illegal sentence.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: This is a Tennessee forum. It sounds like he may wish to file a notice of appeal if he still has time. Get ahold of an attorney in the appropriate jurisdiction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.