New Orleans, LA asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Louisiana

Q: I am in Louisiana Can I force my siblings to split my fathers assets or can I force them to buy me out? He had no will

My father died without a will but my mother is still alive. My father inherited stocks and cash assets from his parents and also 1/2 plus 1/5th of his parents house which my parents then bought out my dads siblings. My mother now lives in this house. I am unsure if they used inherited money of their joint money to buy the remaining portions. I want out of this mess either by being bought out or succession but I am unsure if I can force them to open succession and would that include the house my mother is living in also?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You don't need their permission. You can open the succession and force either a sale or buy out of the house and liquidation of the rest of your Dad's estate. Hire a successions attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.