Portsmouth, NH asked in Real Estate Law, Municipal Law and Probate for Maine

Q: How to clear the house title

My gram passed (no will) and her husband passed 6 moths later (no will step kids only) After she passed he never titled the house in his name. the hiers from my gram are all on the same side. gramps parents and siblings are all passed. Does the title to the house stay with my grams estate since he has passed?

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: Hire an attorney in Maine to conduct a title search. You have not stated what estate the grandparent had. Once the title is determined, then the heirs at law are determined. Heirship needs to be determined up to the present, and these are owners as tenants in common. A complex Affidavit of Heirship will need to be recorded as a source of title. There are far too many decedents here for Probate to help.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.