Apopka, FL asked in Family Law, Health Care Law and Social Security for Florida

Q: How do I obtain a counsel to become a legal guardian for my schizoid son!

My son has decided to not take his Meds. We are up against a system (HEPA law) that protects him but not his care taker (me) I need some control over his decision-making or lack there of! This is a long story and it is a 10 yr fight to help keep my son off the street! I need help to get me in front of a Judge!

1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Spanish Fork, UT

A: You sound like you need a guardianship for your son. In court, the judge will review a letter from a doctor explaining the situation. You will have an attorney, and your son will have an attorney. Often the attorney for the son will tell the judge after meeting with the son that they feel the guardianship is in the son's best interest.

Jeffs and Jeffs in provo do a great job representing the child and they can refer you to someone to represent the parents.

Here is some info from the State's website: https://www.utcourts.gov/howto/family/gc/

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.