Cary, IL asked in Animal / Dog Law for Illinois

Q: My dog was stolen by roommate and given away. They both deny but I seen my dog in the window, police won't help

We had a roommate that took my dog from my home, he gave her to a woman nearby. They both deny this but I seen my dog in the woman's window, police won't help because no one else can verify she's there. The woman doesn't let the dogs outside they use the bathroom inside so I can't sit outside to snap a picture. What do I do.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
George W. Svoboda
George W. Svoboda
  • Grayslake, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Take a picture of the dog in the window of the woman and take it to the police to confirm your story. Try to do this without standing on the woman's property. You could sue to get the dog back, but you will still need proof that the woman has the dog. You will also need to prove that you own the dog, through something like vet bills or an initial purchase agreement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.