Social Circle, GA asked in Family Law for Georgia

Q: I work with a 17 year old who wants to live with maternal grandparents. She currently lives with Dad who has custody.

What can she do to get out of her dad's house? She is 6 months from 18, would she be able to get emancipated quickly or should she try to choose to live with her mother instead? Her dad won't willing let either happen.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Has she discussed this with dad to see if he is willing to allow her to move in with her grandparents? I don’t know how long she has to wait until turning 18, but once she is 18 she will be able to leave and go live with them without having his permission. Getting emancipated can be difficult if she does not have the means to fully support herself. -Homer P. Jordan IV, Esq. 404-620-1558

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.