Asked in Criminal Law for New Mexico

Q: My boyfriend is on probation. The cops came and raided his father's house. They found a gun inside my jeep.

I told the police it was my gun. So not in his possession or inside his home. They charged him with felon in possession of firearm. Is there anything I can do so that charge doesnt stick? It was in my vehicle. Not in his.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Aarons
Stephen Aarons
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Santa Fe, NM
  • Licensed in New Mexico

A: (1) Hire a lawyer for your bf or apply for a public defender if he cannot afford a private lawyer

(2) Get an email or letter from you to his new lawyer explaining that the gun was yours. Give the lawyer copies of the title and registration and insurance of the Jeep to you, not him. Also get the same for his vehicle to show whose vehicle belongs to whom. Unless he was sitting in the jeep, it seems like this case has a decent chance of getting dismissed with a little elbow grease.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.