Wichita, KS asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Kansas

Q: Do i need a lawyer to transfer my dad's name to my name? He has a home in his name. I've never owned a home before.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Lawrence, KS
  • Licensed in Kansas

A: There are several issues that could arise if your dad were to transfer his home to you. You would want to ensure that the transfer was completed correctly. If your dad is a recipient or possible future recipient of Medicaid assistance, the transfer could cause him to be ineligible for Medicaid assistance. Generally speaking, assets of senior citizens should not be transferred away without adequate consideration being paid. Your dad should have the benefit of an attorney's advice to make the right decision for him.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.