Asked in Trademark for Illinois

Q: I would like if I didn't infringe any trademark right and I get suit, what can I do?

My paypal account got suspended, due to a court order below and I never receive any email from the law firm before. Also the claim is strange, I never use or produce any of those company products. As my company is base in Hong Kong how can I defense myself from this law suit?

Court: US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois

Nature of Suit: Trademark

Thank you!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Gerity
Michael Gerity
  • Trademarks Lawyer
  • Phoenix, AZ

A: Hello, and I'm sorry to hear that you have been sued. Unfortunately, a lawsuit in the US District Court is a very serious matter. There are lots of issues that you need to explore, and at minimum, you will need to respond to the Complaint (usually by filing an answer or motion to dismiss) before the deadline. Just as some examples of important issues, if you are based in Hong Kong, I'm wondering how they established jurisdiction against you in the US. Did they serve you with the Complaint? How? Also, if you have never produced the products, what is the basis for the claim.

If there is already an Order, which was used to get your PayPal account suspended, it sounds like you might have already missed the deadline to respond. You really should find an attorney admitted in Illinois to help sort all of this out for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.