Ballston Spa, NY asked in Workers' Compensation for New York

Q: Should I wait and see or get a lawyer?

I sprained my right middle finger in January at work. I informed my employer & recieved medical treatment; wore a splint for 4 weeks. Afterwards, my finger was stiff and slightly bent. I was unable to fully bend or straighten it. I was able to compensate for it by using my thumb and index finger. I started a new job in July. I was less than 12 shifts in when my hand and arm started to cause me extreme pain from actually trying to use the finger. I realize I should've recieved further treatment sooner, but I thought it would get better on it's own and I really didn't want to be going into hospitals while the pandemic was so bad in NY. I went to the doctors again: whom declared me partially disabled. So, my new job will not let me work until I'm back to 100%, has offered to put me on short term disability. The occupational doctor I see told me she won't say I can't work; it's between me and my job. The disability is still pending, been a month. I've been going to therapy, slowly helping.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Victor M. Feraru
Victor M. Feraru
  • Brooklyn, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: It’s always worthwhile to reach out to a PI attorney to see if you have a case. Try calling around to a few. Make sure they hear out your situation and give you you an honest assessment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.