Tualatin, OR asked in Probate and Estate Planning for New Mexico

Q: My children have never been notified by the oil producers about their interests. All their cousins. aunts, etc.

had been notified years ago. My ex husband was the last in line in his generation, he he was notified in 1998, he passed away in 2006. His 2nd wife told the courts he did not have a will and I think she failed to mention to the court his children from our marriage. What can be done? He died in Texas, the oil and gas rights are in New Mexico. They were passed down from his grandmother to her descendants and their descendants, etc., etc.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James Tack Jr
James Tack Jr
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK

A: This appears to be the same question, which was originally asked concerning Texas Law. If the property is located in New Mexico then New Mexico probate laws apply, even if the decedent lived in Texas. It is not clear where the probate case was. You should get a copy of the probate proceedings from the court, any information you have concerning the oil and gas leases, and then contact a New Mexico probate attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.