Detroit, MI asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Michigan

Q: I want to win my divorce and custody case between me and my wife.

She filed for custody and I sent back the questionnaire but divorce papers still have not been filed yet. I am in Oak Park Michigan. I have been married for 16 years and there are four minor children. My son lives with me. What is my next legal step? I already tried to get the case dismissed and that did not work.

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: The case will not be dismissed if she is actively pursuing it. Under what grounds would the court have authority to dismiss it? You could file for divorce since she apparently hasn't yet. That should be your next step.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.