Chesaning, MI asked in Divorce and Family Law for Michigan

Q: Husband threatening me.

I had an affair that ultimately resulted in me filing for divorce. My husband agreed that was what he wanted. He moved out as soon as the papers were filed. I live in MY house with our three kids. My oldest is almost 13 and when we were all together before he moved out, we both agreed she was old enough to babysit her two siblings, 10 and 7. She would watch them if I went for a walk, my husband and I to dinner, a night out, when I was at work, running to the store…ANY circumstance, she was our babysitter. My husband has been out of the house for a month, I went for a walk yesterday and has my oldest baby-sit. My husband drove by my house and saw my car wasn’t there and called me over and over, demanding to know where I was and why I “left” the kids. Complete with telling me “don’t make me hunt you down”. Now he says, if I do ANYTHING to make him upset or “leave” the kids, he will get a lawyer and take them from me. I’m a prisoner and can’t leave for any reason in fear he w

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: What you are experiencing is unfortunately not all that uncommon when divorces are filed - emotions and feeling change, and people's memories of how things were become fuzzy.

There is an orderly process to resolve divorce issues through the court system; and that process is intended to dissolve power dynamics, and come to an equitable (not necessarily equal or "fair") outcome.

Don't give in to the fear tactics. Let him get a lawyer if he so chooses; and you should do the same. The reality, though, is that he will likely end up disappointed if his expectation is that he's going to "take them" from you. But if he wants to spend the money to find that out, let him. If you become fearful of imminent harm or stalking, you can seek a PPO.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.