Clearwater, FL asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: Can you ask a judge to recalculate arrears in Florida Child Support case?

NCP was supposed to hold medical insurance on a special needs child and never did. The child has since been emancipated and I am looking to collect arrears that are past due? DOR has a hearing 10/14/2020 for contempt of non-payment...I need to know if I can ask them to recalculate the past due support or can I ask for all the medical bills that I have incurred over the years seeing he hasn't paid?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Vanessa Vasquez de Lara
Vanessa Vasquez de Lara
  • Miami, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The court can only give you what you ask for. You have to file a Motion for Contempt if he was supposed to do something and did not do it and it cost you money. Most child support orders include a division of medical expenses and you can seek reimbursement for those expenses. But unless a motion has been filed and set for that hearing in October, it would not have been heard. You will probably need to set another hearing.

Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.