Belleville, MI asked in Divorce for Michigan

Q: Fear of being attacked if I serve my husband with divorce papers. Can he be made to move out during the divorce process?

I am currently unemployed and he pays all the bills. He recently put his hands on me on my bday 7/24 and put me out of his house. I came home to my clothes, purses and furniture put out in my vehicles and the garage. So I'm afraid for my safety that this will not turn out well once he is served. All I want is a peaceful and fair divorce. We've been married 15yrs n he is the financially stable one.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew M Steiger
Andrew M Steiger
  • St. Clair Shores, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You can file a motion to have him leave house. Also consider a personal protection order which can be filed and approved without his knowledge, to keep him out of the house, and be effective when a police officer serves it on him.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.