Newark, NJ asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: What NJ statute states a landlord cannot change a lease without the tenants agreement, initials or signature?

They added an end date, when it says for a minimum of 3 months for length of lease. Now she refuses rent, and it was from the state auto deposited with her approval. She contacted them, not me and stated she refuses any more rent. Help, she claims I'm cauding irreparable harm, an OTSC was filed it's in a couple days. She put the words FINAL. 5/31/20 on th he lease after putting 4/1/20 on it. Both she initialled, but I didn't do so, let alone know about it. I only got a copy maybe 2 months ago. She's blaming me for preventing her from renting her house. She couldn't rent it cause of covid, not me. I rent the attic, not the house, and have no access to the house. Help please?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: No written document can be changed by one party after both have signed. Further, self-help is illegal in New Jersey. In addition, when you rented your apartment did the Landlord obtain a Certificate of Habitability from the town? Did you pay a security deposit? If so, were you provided with the required information that a Landlord must give you? Based on the brief factual description provided, you are in a very strong position to enforce the terms of the lease as originally executed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.