Portland, OR asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Oregon

Q: Is it possible to file a parenting plan modification without an attorney in Oregon due to safety concerns

My ex and his girlfriend who he lives with are being investigated by CPS. There has been domestic violence in the home and heavy drinking. I want to know if there is a way to make it so they cannot stay overnight until this situation is resolved. The behavior has gotten worse and has been going on for over a year. I am the primary parent, he has them every other weekend and one evening per week. I have limited funds but if I had some idea of how much it would cost to have an attorney there is a chance I could get the funds, I just don't know where to start. Also is there a way to speed up the process so they no longer have to stay there until the judge is able to make a decision?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jessica Larsen
Jessica Larsen
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hillsboro, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Yes, you can file for a parenting plan modification without an attorney. You will need to locate the forms for a Motion to Show Cause re: Modification of Parenting Time on the court website which you can fill out yourself. If you find them too difficult, you should retain an attorney to assist you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.