Elwood, IN asked in Employment Law for Indiana

Q: My husband is on FLMA and has a letter from his doctor requesting that he be moved to a cleaner area because of COPD.

He was for the last year in the cleaner area until his supervisor moved him back to the dirty part of the factory. His supervisor is stonewalling him on the move saying he doesn't have to move him because the doctor has no authority. Is there anything that can be done, because my husband is getting worse.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Carrie Dyer
Carrie Dyer

A: Yes, your husband is entitled to seek a reasonable accommodation due to his COPD that allows him to continue to perform the essential functions of his job. It sounds like your husband's employer was providing him the accommodation of working in a clean area of the factory for the previous year. If nothing has changed, then the supervisor's refusal to continue to accommodate him for no reason at all is likely a violation of your husband's rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act. More information is necessary to analyze his situation, so he should reach out to an employment lawyer in his area to discuss.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.