Q: I am an international PhD student in the States. I want to simultaneously obtain a PhD in my home country.

My presence in my home country is not needed, I can work with my advisor remotely. My US advisor knows my home country advisor; they work on very close problems, they are both okay with this scenario. Can I legally do it, from the point of view of the US laws? I receive a scholarship in the States and will recieve a small stipend in my home country. My home country is former USSR.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If a visa of any type is involved, you may want to additionally repost in the Immigration Law section - it's possible the insight of an immigration attorney could be valuable, and possibly more relevant than the other categories, depending on circumstances. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.