Alburnett, IA asked in Animal / Dog Law for Iowa

Q: My buddy’s dad bought an xxl pit bull off a guy without receiving paperwork and now the guy wants him back?

The pit bull was a couple months old at the time and extremely starved with a stomach full of rope that took 4000$ surgery to remove it, since then almost a year later he is a beast of a dog in a happy home that weighs 150+ pounds and now the neglectful owner he bought him off says he wants the dog back Because of his size and how well my friend dad has raised him and that he’s going to call the police because he has the paperwork for the dog even though he was paid handsomely for him. Is there any way in hell this man has a chance of removing this loving dog from its happy home?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristina M. Bergsten
Kristina M. Bergsten
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Media, PA

A: If your buddy's dad can prove he paid for the dog (text messages, emails, social media messages + proof of payment -- if it was cash, he'll need the cash withdrawal receipt), then the police shouldn't get involved. The police likely won't get involved, anyway, especially if your dad has had the dog for a while. This other guy will likely have to sue to get the dog back. The short answer is, even if the cops try to take the dog, your buddy's dad should ask them for their warrant to seize the dog. They won't have one, obviously, and that should stop them in their tracks from taking the dog from your buddy's dad. That doesn't mean they won't charge him with the crime of theft, but that can be addressed in court and at least your friend's dad will still have his dog.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.