Ballwin, MO asked in Divorce and Domestic Violence for Missouri

Q: St. louis county MO. Married 12yrs have 2 kids, want divorce from husband. Husband is abusive, he lost job 6yrs ago.

I am sole provider for family and house is in my name. I want to leave and rent a safe place but cant pay for both places. Husband refuses to work he has no income. Can I sign a lease and leave family house while married if I fear he will hurt me? Am I legally obligated to support him until we are divorced?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Steve D. Hardin
Steve D. Hardin
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • St. louis, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Please speak to a local family law attorney. More details about the abuse and you situation will be needed to give you a good answer. For instance an order of protection might be in your best interest even if you leave the current home.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.