Nappanee, IN asked in Immigration Law for Indiana

Q: How can I get my wife's last name changed to mine on her permanent resident status and SSI card?

My wife and I were married earlier this year, but the local Justice of the Peace would not change her name to mine on our marriage certificate due to her immigration status at the time. Now, when I filed for her permanent resident status and work permit in April, I filled out the necessary USCIS forms using her maiden name. Her green card came with her maiden name on it. I need to get USCIS and SSI to recognize her legal last name as mine when they issue her permanent resident status and SSI card soon.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kyndra L Mulder
Kyndra L Mulder
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, FL

A: Her married name should have been usewd when you completed the I-130 and I-485. Since you did not the simplest and least expensive route to take is to use her married name when she applies to remove the conditions. If she has her 10 year card she can use her married name when she applies for NATZ or attend a name changing ceremony for NATZ.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.