Asked in Criminal Law for Nebraska

Q: Is it a good idea to fight the warrant or not?

Discovery shows the exact info used to enter my husbands residents in Dec 2019 (we had been seperated over a yr) which had nothing to do with me. Boyfriends past record, & surveillance conducted at neighbors 4-5 blocks away, & a guy who claims to have purchased drugs from me the night he was arrested for poss of a gun by prohib person, poss of weapons by prohib, fleeing arrest, obstructing a peace officer, and the gun was suspected of being used in a case a few counties away. The drugs the k9 found, he was never charged with. He was high when he was arrested, and is on psych meds, has spent majority of his life locked up, he is not a creditable or reliable person. My house was searched less than 3.3 grams was found, in individual bags. They came in without general rule of 20 seconds, I was screaming I'm coming within 3 seconds of initial knock and announcment, by 12 sec I am yelling Im nearly there & 15 sec I'm at the door attempting to open it but they breach the door anyway

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
J. Heath Dillon
J. Heath Dillon
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Leesville, LA

A: Whether you have a sound basis to suppress or keep out of evidence the contraband they found after entering your living space is a matter that should be discussed with a criminal defense attorney retained or appointed by the Court. If you don't already have an attorney, either pay for and retain one, or ask the Court to appoint one for you.

Generally speaking, law enforcement may only enter someone's house without consent, in order to search that house, if a search warrant has been issued by a judge. This search authorization would be based on circumstances that, when taken together, cause a judge to believe it more likely than not that contraband would be found at or within the place to be searched.

You provide information that, if presented to a judge in an affidavit in support of a search authorization, would likely result in a search authorization (probable cause standard met).

Again, these are circumstances and considerations best discussed with a criminal defense attorney hired or appointed to represent you. Note that rules of criminal procedure typically require a defendant to raise issues such as the admissability of evidence within certain timelines before a trial date.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.