Chantilly, VA asked in Probate for Virginia

Q: There was a pending lawsuit against my brother inlaw who passed. My brother inlaw was accused of molesting his nephew

25 years ago. Brother inlaw denies all allegations and nephew has no witnesses or proof. He did not say anything about this issues until he found out my brother inlaw was dieing and thought he had a lot of money.

My husband took care of his brother with ALS for 2 yrs and left everything to my husband house car and all money was POD. Now the nephew is wanting my husband to settle up with him for his brother. So we are not sure what to do. We offered some money but was turned down.

We have got letters from lawyer and he said it was filed in the Fairfax court but we didnt know about that and no not notifying us of that. My brother inlaw denies anything happened so not willing to offer more money and the amount they want is more than what the house is worth!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Potomac, MD
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: I’m not sure what you are asking, but it sounds like you need a lawyer to review and file a demurrer. If the estate has no money and no claim can be made for fraudulent transfer, I think the case is likely over. Negotiating pro se is a waste of time.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.