Minneapolis, MN asked in Child Support and Family Law for Minnesota

Q: Who should I talk to in order to acquire a stimulus check despite being in arrears to child support? ...Read on.

My son is 23 years old, works as a delivery driver and pays no rent to his mother. His tax return was ...significant. However, I was laid off in March due to the pandemic lock-downs, and my job officially ended as the June riots destroyed my place of work. Needless to say how hard it was to see my state and federal tax return, as well as my stimulus check be redirected to the mother. Now we have a payment schedule which has been revised and has been comfortable for both parties. The state has also granted me the benefit of matching me dollar for dollar to pare down my debt much sooner. My unemployment has been properly garnished, though it will run out in Dec. Now, with a second stimulus check tentatively planned for distribution...(soon?)... is it possible for me to stop the payout from being redirected? I'm made to feel like I'm a deadbeat who's neglecting my infant child, rather than the dutiful father of an adult male who's only trying to keep on keepin' on. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne
  • St. Louis Park, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: The payout is going to be redirected because you have the back payments owing. Unfortunately, the state will not care much that you lost your job.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.