Nashville, TN asked in Business Formation, Business Law and Contracts for Tennessee

Q: How can an Architect w/ his own Firm (S-Corp, Prof. Corp.) in TN have a 50/50 financial partnership w/ a non-Architect?

Can he be a 50/50 shareholder?

1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. James Charles Wright
Mr. James Charles Wright
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Look at TCA 62-2-601 and 602 - This explanation is from the State's website: A corporation, partnership, or firm offering architectural, engineering, or landscape architectural services to the public may engage in the practice of architecture, engineering, or landscape architecture in Tennessee, provided that at least one (1) of the principals (an individual capable of making independent design decisions) or officers of such corporation, partnership, or firm is in responsible charge of such practice and maintains active Tennessee registration as an architect, engineer, or landscape architect, provided firm disclosures are filed with the Tennessee Board of Architectural and Engineering Examiners. [T.C.A. § 62-2-601]

Corporations, partnerships, and firms maintaining any place of business within Tennessee for the purpose of providing or offering to provide architectural, engineering, or landscape architectural design to the public shall have, in responsible charge of such service at any and each place of business, a resident registered architect, engineer, or landscape architect. [T.C.A. § 62-2-602]

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.