New Orleans, LA asked in Civil Litigation for Louisiana

Q: Explain law concerning a relative who was visiting for a funeral and staying at the deceased home but refuses to leave?

My mother recently passed. My brother and I let my estranged son and his family stay at her house because they had no money for hotel. They a pretty much nomadic. They have been there for 3 weeks and we have been telling them to leave for at least 2. We want to start renovations on the house. The policeman told us that he has established residency after 3 days stay. And we have to go thru eviction proceedings or succession (in process). They made us leave the property. Is this accurate? I am also filing for grandparent rights. As of now, they have no permanent place to live and the 5 yr old is still not in school! It's October!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: I have no idea where this officer invented a 3 day rule. Go file a criminal complaint of trespassing and going where forbidden. Wait until the family goes out and change the locks. Put their belongings on the curb.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.