Cliffside Park, NJ asked in Estate Planning and Probate for New York

Q: Can I file for a Letter of Administration regarding my mother's Estate?

I am trying to apply for the 9/11 Fund for my deceased mother. I have been told that because she was married at the time of her passing her husband would be entitled. He has since passed away. My mother did not have a Will. They have no children together. If my mother's husband had any children, are they entitled to anything? Are they a priority? When my mother passed away, she had AARP Life Insurance in which she named myself and her husband on. Since my mother has passed away and her husband passed away, would my mother's husbands kids be entitled to my mother's money?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • Probate Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You need to become the administrator of her estate. Who would get the money once collected by the estate depends on the family tree and times people died.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.