Washington, DC asked in Traffic Tickets and Constitutional Law for Missouri

Q: I showed up to court for a speeding ticket and was told the ticket wasn't in the system yet. Can I get it dismissed?

They blamed Covid, but there was no notification and I missed work to be at court. I disagree with the ticket and now will need to take more time off whenever the ticket is entered and they set a new date. Am I guaranteed a speedy trial and if so, can I get this ticket dismissed. Had I missed the court date, they would have entered a guilty plea on my behalf.

1 Lawyer Answer
Andrea Rogers
Andrea Rogers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Eureka, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: No, you can't get your ticket dismissed based on what you have stated. If you had missed the court date, the court would have mailed a letter to you to remind you that you missed your court date and would have re-set your court date on a future date. If the Prosecutor hasn't filed the ticket, or if the court clerk hasn't put your case on the docket, there is nothing the judge can do because the ticket doesn't technically exist yet.

In St. Louis County Circuit Court, it has been taking several months for tickets to get filed. You can hire an attorney to get your ticket amended to a non-moving, no-point infraction. If you choose that option, you won't have to appear in court at all. Your attorney will monitor the ticket so you won't have to worry about whether it's been filed or not.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.