Charlotte, NC asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: My brother is threatening to report his 16yo son as a runaway after allowing him to leave with me. What should i do?

My brother had slapped my nephew and so he called me to come get him. When i got there, my brother said he wasnt going anywhere but then threatened to beat the crap out of him when i left so i stayed. After arguing for several minutes he told him to leave but not to ever come back and even said he would no longer be his son. Now 3 days later he calls and said if my nephew wasnt at home by 5 today he would report him as a runaway. My brother slapped him b4 i got there. My brother and his wife ( kids stepmom)drink alot. I just need to know what to do to keep him safe and also get his 14 yo brother out of there as well. The mental abuse is out of control. Theh call him retarded and worthless and refuse to let them attend public school bc they need them to babysit their 4yo half brother while they work. This has been going on for the past couple years but my nephes finally stood up to them.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Vanessa Vasquez de Lara
Vanessa Vasquez de Lara
  • Miami, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You need to contact the Department of Children and Family immediately.

Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.