Cambridge, MN asked in Civil Litigation and Personal Injury for Minnesota

Q: Can you sue in small claims court in Minnesota for emotional distress?

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Minnesota attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for three weeks. Until you are able to consult with a Minnesota attorney, here is a link to a resource for small claims litigants. It was prepared by the Minnesota Attorney General's office and can be found on the Internet by anyone in the public, attorneys and non-attorneys alike:

As a GENERAL matter across THE NATION AS A WHOLE, small claims courts could vary as to the types of cases they handle, where some limit their scope to basic straightforward money disputes (rent securities, breach of contract, debts, small property damage, etc.) while some also handle tort matters. It looks like you might mean the intentional tort of Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress, rather than emotional distress as consequential damages of a more major underlying physical injury. Keep in mind, on the whole, such cases could be difficult and many attorneys tend to shy away from them. If you are able to contact court clerks, they might be able to offer guidance. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.