Aurora, CO asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Tennessee

Q: My father passed with no will and unmarried, leaving 4 children. What do we do?

I am the eldest and my father did own his house flat out. He did not have a lot of money, the house is not worth a lot and he had some debt.

how do I file to become the executor and get the deed transferred over so I can sell it and split it between my siblings?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You would be wise to consult a local attorney to review the facts, debts, and assets. Regarding the real property, one option is to file an affidavit of heirship into the property record to show ownership. If he has other assets/debts, you may still want to open a small estate and obtain letters testamentary so that you can handle his business.

Anthony M. Avery agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.