Tucson, AZ asked in Probate for Wisconsin

Q: What happens to Wisconsin probate if exceeds 18 months and no reason from attorney for extension as everything is done?

Stepdad's brother passed March 2019 with no will. He has 5 siblings of which another has passed since. Sister was appointed as personal representative. All notices, disclosures and closing statement have been filed now for months. They cannot get attorney to respond to email and they are afraid to call as attorney threatened them with $300 charges each time. They are elderly and in great need of having this settled to assist some of them medically. 18 month deadline is November 12th. I am just trying to get information to help them get this closed. Is there action that they need to take?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: The PR can fire the non-responsive attorney and hire another one. Another option is to file a complaint with the state bar regarding the attorney’s non responsiveness.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.