Palatine, IL asked in DUI / DWI for Illinois

Q: Could my charges be upgraded?

I got a first offense DUI. Blew close to 3x over the limit and got into an accident. No one was hurt and I was charged with a misdemeanor. A month later, the person I hit filed a personal injury claim. Does this mean my misdemeanor be upgraded to a felony?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Juan Ooink
Juan Ooink
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Bolingbrook, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: The Personal Injury law suit is not going to cause your DUI to be upgraded. If you did not have valid insurance or a valid driver's license at the time, it could be upgraded to a Felony offense. This is something you should be discussing with your attorney. If you have not hired an attorney yet, you should do so right away. Due to your DUI arrest and you BAC results, you license will be suspended for 6 months started on the 46 day from when you were arrested. An attorney can assist you with both your DUI charges and this pending suspension, but you need to hire one right away.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.