Pittsburgh, PA asked in Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania

Q: How do I put a house I've lived in my whole life in my name since my mother's death? Must I open an estate in her name?

I'm in Pennsylvania. My mother has a will saying I get everything she has and I'm also entitled to a 5th of a property being sold that she was part owner in. Must I open an estate in her name to get the 5th of the profit for the second property (the one being sold)? Or should the estate go in my name since she is deceased and I'm her son with a will stating I receive everything she owned? Thank you and have a great day.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Tarasi
Elizabeth Tarasi
  • Pittsburgh, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You need to open an estate and probate the will.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.