Taos, NM asked in Criminal Law for New Mexico

Q: If I completed my sentence and was granted a conditional discharge for a 4th degree felony, is my case dismissed?

Conviction date was 06/2015. I was sentenced to 1 year probation. I successfully completed probation in 06/2016. Does my attorney need to file for dismissal or is it automatically dismissed after 4 years?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Marc Grano
Marc Grano
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NM
  • Licensed in New Mexico

A: There is usually an Order of Release on Conditional Discharge with is submitted by the probation officer and signed by the judge. That order closes the case and relieves the probation officer from continued supervision in the case. The record of adjudication will remain.

The only way to clear your record id through and Expungement. To learn more about New Mexico's Expungement law click on the link below:


1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.