Queens, NY asked in Immigration Law for New York

Q: Can me and my partner as LGBT persons apply and be represented for asylum in Florida.We entered USA few days ago in NYC

My name is Veljko, I am a 44 years old and HIV positive male originally from Serbia. I have been in a domestic partnership for four years with my fiance Sasha, since we don't have an option to legalize our relationship in our home country.

Back in 2004 I was persecuted for the first time because of my sexuality and as an LGBT person. During that period I was employed as an army officer, all together for 20 years. Due to my HIV status and sexuality, I was forced to retire from the military at a young age back in 2015 and I have documents that supports it. Ever since I was not legally able to get a job and make for my living which was a reason for me and my partner to leave Serbia for the first time. While we were briefly living abroad, my partner and I obtained tourist visas (B2). We entered USA this month.. We want to apply for legal help for our asylum application as well as medical counseling and medications since I am on HAART and in Florida

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adan Vega
Adan Vega
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX

A: If you are seeking protection in the U.S. because you have suffered persecution or you fear that you will suffer persecution due to: race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion you may seek political asylum in the U.S. after you have entered the U.S. and you fulfill the necessary requirements to file the request for asylum.

You seem to have a basis for a asylum but I urge you to first consult with an experienced immigration attorney to fully and properly assess your case. I also recommend that you do not file a pro se request for asylum.

My law office has successfully represented similar cases such as yours.

Good luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.